This article will teach you how to setup your custom domain records for GoDaddy to attach to your new website. This will allow your visitors to go to yourwebsite.com or www.yourwebsite.com to access your website. You will have to own a domain already purchased from GoDaddy to follow these instructions.
Steps to follow
- Login to your GoDaddy account from the GoDaddy homepage.
- Click on 'My Account' and then click on 'Visit My Account'
- Click on the 'Launch' button next to Domain
- Click the domain you wish to setup your custom domain for.
- Click on the DNS Zone File tab across the top.
- Click on 'Add Record'
- Select CNAME from the list of record types.
- Fill out the fields with the following information - Host: www and Points to: s.multiscreensite.com, and then click finish.
- Locate the red colored bar, and click 'Save Changes'
- Click on 'Settings' next to DNS Zone File.
- Locate the 'Forwarding' section and click on the blue 'manage' link.
- Click on 'Add Forwarding.'
- In the 'Forward to:' field type in the domain which you will be using for your website. For example, if you were in the settings for example.com, then you would put www.example.com in this field. Make sure the other settings are set as follows: Redirect type -> 301 (Permanent), Forward settings -> Forward only, update my nameservers and DNS settings to support this change -> check the box.
- Click add and you will be all set.
One item that might come up when trying to create the CNAME record is an error message notifying you that there already is a record in place for @ or www. You will need to delete the existing records (probably above in the A record section, save the changes, and then perform steps 5 & 6 again.
Wait! Creating CNAME records may take up to 24 hours to propagate. While GoDaddy is usually very quick, the site will not be immediately available at the newly created records.