This article will teach you how to setup your custom domain records for 1and1 to attach to your new Responsive Website. This will allow your visitors to go to yourwebsite.com or www.yourwebsite.com to access your website. You will have to own your own domain from 1and1 to set this up.
Please note that creating a CNAME record in 1and1 invalidates any MX records in that domain, so if you use 1and1 for your mail servers, you will need to transfer your domain to a different domain host if you wish to use Responsive Website.
Steps to follow
There are two steps. First, you must set up the CNAME record. Second, you must set up an HTTP redirect.
Setting up the CNAME record
- Go to 1and1.com and click on Customer Login at the top and login to your account.
- Click on the Domain menu at the top navigation
- Click Manage domains
- In the Domains menu, click Create Subdomain
- Create a www Subdomain
- Click Domains to go back to the domain control panel, then click Manage Subdomains
- Scroll down to Subdomain Overview, then locate the Subdomain you added (www.yourdomainname.com)
- In the domain settings for that page, scroll down to DNS Settings. Click to expand that section, then click Edit
- In the next page, scroll down to A/AAAA Records (IP Addresses), then click CNAME.
- For the Alias, enter s.multiscreensite.com
- Check the option "I am aware and accept that all current DNS settings, e-mail addresses, and redirects will be disabled", then click Save.
- Click Save at the bottom right then confirm the save by clicking Yes.
- That's it!
Setting up the HTTP redirect
- After we've set up the CNAME, simply go back to the Domains dashboard for the domain we're adding the HTTP redirect to.
- Under Basic Settings, find Destination. Click edit.
- Where it says Destination, click Redirect.
- Set the redirect destination in this format: http://www.yourdomain.com
(replace yourdomain with your actual domain name)
Where it says Type, click HTTP redirect.
- Hit save and you're done!
When entering your domain in the Responsive Website URL settings, be sure to enter your domain name without the "www."
Wait! Creating CNAME records may take up to 24 hours to propagate. From our experience, 1and1 tends to take an hour or two before it propagates successfully, so have some patience while it fully sets up.